CALICO SLAM SERIES
** The Red Rock Canyon race on March 1, 2008 inducted the first pioneering finishers of the Calico Slam series! Congratulations finishers! For a complete list of finishers CLICK HERE
Inspired by the Grand Slam of Ultra Running, which is the completion of the 4 premier 100 miler events in the country in one year, the Calico Slam will recognize runners completing multiple Calico Racing events.
Here are the rules and rewards:
1) Slammers must complete 4 Calico Racing events in any given 12 consecutive month event period. Runners may choose among all Calico Racing events which ones they plan to run, but note an event can only be used once regardless of the year to year date fluctuation. However the back to back Labor of Love dates (Saturday and Sunday) can both be used.
2) There are 4 Slam divisions: The Calico Slam; The Calico 1/2 Slam; the Calico Mega Slam; and new starting in April 2010, the Calico Progressive Slam. See below for details.
3) Slammers who complete the slam will be distinguished on this website as finishers. This web entry will include the Runners' name, Slam division, Races run, Race dates, and times if you wish. This is not a competition; since Slammers may utilize different races to obtain Slammer status it would not be fair to compare finishing times on different courses. Slammers will be listed in order of completion date.
4) There is no need to proclaim your quest for the Slam, though I would love to know about your pursuit! Upon entry into your 4th and final event of the Slam, please inform me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org so that I can make necessary accomodations for your accomplishment!
5) Special awards and designations will be given to Slam finishers. Due to the added cost of properly recognizing Slammers' accomplishments, no repeat runner discounts will be given.
Calico Slam: The Calico Slam honors runners who complete the Marathon race distance at 4 Calico Races in any given consecutive 12 month period.
Calico 1/2 Slam: The Calico 1/2 Slam honors runners who complete the 1/2 Marathon race distance at 4 Calico Races in any given consecutive 12 month period.
Calico Mega Slam: The Calico Mega Slam honors runners who complete the Ultramarathon distance races, when available, at 4 Calico Races in any given consecutive 12 month period. Currently 4 Calico Races include an ultramarathon option: Angel 50 miler; Labor of Love 50K, 50 miler, and 100 miler; Devil 50 miler, and ET 51K. Due to the extreme heat nature of the Devil 50 miler I do not want to force people into this extreme event if they are not ready. Therefore you can elect to run the marathon distance at one of the races that do NOT offer an ultramarathon option, such as Red Rock Canyon. However, if you run Devil, it MUST be the 50 miler distance to qualify for the Mega Slam. For those of you including the Devil 50 miler into your Mega Slam- not to worry- it will be noted that you included this tougher race!
Calico Progressive Slam: The brain child of the first two inductees in April 2010, the Calico Progressive Slam was born! The Progressive Slam honors those runners who have stepped up in distance with each Calico Racing event they've completed in a 12 month year, starting with a 1/2 marathon or greater. Examples can be: Devil 1/2 Marathon, ET Marathon, Angel 50 Miler, Labor of Love 100 Miler. OR: Angel 1/2 Marathon, Red Rock Marathon, Labor of Love 50K, ET 51K. OR: Red Rock Marathon, ET 51K, Angel 50 Miler, Labor of Love 100 Miler. You get the idea!
*NOTE: An event may be used only once in the 12 month period, regardless of how the dates fall, as events may move up or back in the year due to holidays, weekends, full moon, etc. For example: if you start with Red Rock Canyon in March 2010 you can not use Red Rock again in 2011 toward the same slam. They must be 4 unique Calico Racing events. The only exception is if you do the back to back events at Lovell Canyon on Saturday and Sunday- they will count as 2.