Everyone has heard of Las Vegas; and when they think of it, they conger up images of "The Strip" with bright neon lights, casinos, gambling, wild nightlife, drunken fools, and general glutney. Sure we have all that. But did you also know....
- Las Vegas lies within the country's fourth largest desert, the Mohave Desert. Home of numerous indigenous plants and animals. The desert abounds with color from the surrounding red rocks, to the burst of color on a flowering cactus, to the crystal blue waters of Lake Mead.
- Lake Mead is the country's largest man made lake covering more than 150 square miles.
- Hoover Dam, one of the engineering marvels of the world is just minutes from the start/ finish area.
- Henderson, a satelite city to Las Vegas, has been among the country's fastest growing cities for roughly a decade.
- Boulder City, once a community planned for the workers on the building of the Hoover Dam back in the 1930s, today is a city listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and home to 14,000 residents. Boulder City is the only town in Nevada that does not allow gambling.
- There is so much more to Las Vegas and the surrounding areas than gambling...come experience Calico Racing's Las Vegas.